Imagine life without doubt. You know exactly what you’re meant to do, and you do it. There’s no question as to whether or not you’ll reach your potential. It’s just a matter of when. Mediocre isn’t even an option. You’re on a straight path to greatness.
Awakened from a dream, reality sets in. Your path has been anything but straight. Perhaps you know what you want to do. You might even know what you’re meant to do. Still, something is standing in your way.
Are limitations real or does your mindset limit you?
Yes, your feelings are real. Still, you don’t have to allow them to hold you back. The power given to feelings is within your control. A wrong mindset needs to be addressed to do anything of significance. If not, you’ll stop before you even start.
Excuses are endless. I bet you can think of a thousand reasons why you can’t. Let’s flip things around. Don’t make excuses. Look for solutions. Let go of all the reasons why you can’t. Look for ways to make it happen.
The goal is action. Without action, no progress is made.
Follow these simple steps to go from doubt to action.
- Evaluate your beliefs. What do you believe about yourself and your life? Is your outlook positive or are you focused on the negative?
- Assess your gifts and talents. Make a list of things you love to do and talents that come naturally to you.
- Think about your potential. You must first recognize your potential before you can walk in it. How confident are you that you can accomplish your goals?
- Evaluate your expectations. Expectations can be set too high or too low. Look for a happy medium. Reassess goals as you move forward. Are your expectations realistic or unrealistic?
- Assess goals. Do goals line up with your vision?
- Focus on your mindset. Accept that doubt will come. Just don’t allow it to stop you. Are you doubtful or do you walk by faith?
- Write down ways to turn doubt into action. Focus on positive steps you can take when doubt comes.
- Go back to Step 1. Be prepared to adjust your mindset and expectations on a regular basis. Don’t be discouraged if you have a setback. At times you’ll need to go backward to move forward.
Action changes your mindset. Your mindset changes your actions. Courage builds up along the way. Courage leads to confidence. Confidence replaces insecurity and doubt.
Life will never be free of doubt and insecurity. The path to greatness will never be completely straight. Mediocrity will tempt you along the way.
The road to greatness is paved with setbacks, doubt and discouragement. There’s no growth without struggle. Challenges build true strength. You’ll need it when you arrive. After all, greatness isn’t about you. It’s about what God wants to do through you.
Never settle for mediocre. You’ll always wonder what might have happened had you taken a chance. What you achieve will only go as high as what you believe. Reach for your potential.
Julie Barbera, author of the forthcoming book, Cracked Mirror, Clear Reflection
“Treasures Are Right Before Our Eyes, yet Many Miss Gems Searching for Pearls at the Bottom of the Sea.”